Not Your World Music : Noise in South East Asia
Cedrik Fermont & Dimitri della Faille
A book about art, politics, identity, gender and global capitalism
From academic electronic music to do-it-yourself noise in South East Asia. Contemporary and past noise, electroacoustic, industrial, experimental music and sound art in Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar/Burma, The Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam. With political, historical and sociological essays, exclusive interviews with artists and organizers, as well as an extensive bibliography of popular music from South East Asia and a thorough discography of noise and experimental music artists.
“The first book aiming to chart the spread of noise music across South East Asia” – The Wire Magazine
Softcover and electronic versions available
What’s inside the book?
- South East Asia, noise music and us : Cedrik Fermont and Dimitri della Faille
- What is noise music ? An attempt at an anti-sexist and anti-colonial definition : Dimitri della Faille and Cedrik Fermont
- What is a musical genre ? Some lessons from the humanities and social sciences : Dimitri della Faille and Paula Ledaga-Leounda
- History of noise music in South East Asia : Cedrik Fermont
- Reflections on the social determinants of noise music in South East Asia : Dimitri della Faille
- A conversation with the noise scenes in South East Asia : Teresa Barrozo, Dimitri della Faille, Cedrik Fermont, Goh Lee Kwang, Nathalie Johnston, Indra Menus, Nguyễn Hồng Nhung, Dyah Isaka Parameswara, Phú Phạm, Rully Shabara, Koichi Shimizu, Tara Transitory and Mark Wong
- Popular, electronic, experimental, extreme, academic and contemporary music in South East Asia : A selection of scholarly writings : Dimitri della Faille
- Discography : A selection of recorded material : Cedrik Fermont
- And more
Published by Syrphe (Berlin) | Hushush (Ottawa)
Septembre 2016 (first edition)
Copyright 2016 Cedrik Fermont and Dimitri della Faille
This book is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)
Legal deposit third quarter 2016
Library and Archives Canada
Issued in print and electronic formats
ISBN 978-0-9949705-0-3 (paperback)
ISBN 978-0-9949705-1-0 (pdf)
How to get the book?
The paper version of the book (softcover) can also be order here http://words.hushush.com/
The book is also available as a free PDF download
Download the individual chapters https://independent.academia.edu/noiseinsoutheastasia
Download the entire book as a PDF (223 mb) https://goo.gl/5SZpfZ
The book come with companion compilation (CD and electronic version). This compilation is an attempt to cover a varied range of noise and experimental music from South East Asia. Limited to just over one hour, the CD format does not allow us to fully cover the richness of the scene. However, we did our best to include a diverse group of artists. We have selected female and male artists, DIY and academically trained musicians, and newcomers and established artists.
With exclusive tracks from: Cheryl Ong & Vivian Wang (Singapore); Menstrual Synthdrone (Indonesia); Sodadosa (Indonesia); Nguyễn Hong Giang (Vietnam); Dharma (Singapore); Sound Awakener (Vietnam); Bergegas Mati (Indonesia); GAMNAD737 (Thailand); Goh Lee Kwang (Malaysia); Yandsen (Malaysia); Teresa Barrozo (The Philippines); Musica Htet (Myanmar).